Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Another fun day

John was out of town tonight, so we spent the day out (seeing as how it didn't matter when we got home to see him). We went to the Children's Museum today for the Chinese New Year's crafts, and fortunately it wasn't too crowded. Cata and I realized that most of the crafts were a bit advanced for the kids, but they did enjoy painting their own faces!! After I write this, I'll post a picture of Will's face. By the time I could get a good picture, Claire's was mostly worn off. I was able to get a decent one of Will, and I'll try to get more when we buy some of those face painting crayons from the museum next time... ;)

After lunch at Wendy's, the kids fell asleep immediately (of course), and we drove to the Houston Museum of Natural Science for "Free Tuesday Afternoon" fun. I sat in the parking lot for 45 minutes and listened to Eclipse (the 3rd book in the Twilight series) on my iPod while the kids napped.

Around 3:00, we headed into the museum, and I discovered that I had to pee. After some thought, I decided that I couldn't wait until we got home, but I didn't have the stroller to restrain the kids while I wheeled them into the handicapped stall with me. What to do...what to do... I decide to take them into the handicapped stall with me anyway, and STRONGLY instruct them NOT to TOUCH ANYTHING. So, I enter the ladies room, both hands holding little ones, nudging the door open with my elbow. We're in! First step accomplished. Now, to wait for the handicapped stall to be vacated by the woman and her 4 brightly colored bags of stuff laying on the floor (!!!) and her daughter, who sounds like she's using a public potty for the first time. I wait for a minute or so, and finally decide that they're not coming out any time soon. We cram into a regular stall, kids by the door (the cleanest place, I figure) with more instructions NOT to TOUCH ANYTHING except mommy. Most of you know me as a public bathroom-phobe, so I proceed with my "stance". Will is holding my purse (with strict instructions not to let it touch the floor), both of them have asked for few squares of toilet paper, and everyone is announcing "mommy's tinkle". I finish up (having to divert little hands full of toilet paper that want to "help"), and usher them out of the stall so I can flush (thank God it wasn't an automatic toilet!!). I instruct them again to stand by the wall while I wash my hands, I grab my paper towel to open the restroom door, and BAM! We're out! SUCCESS!!! I couldn't have been more proud of those two :)

We finish up our day looking at dinosaur bones, pressing all the light and sound buttons in the Chemistry section, taking a spin through the butterfly exhibit, and having a pleasant dinner at home. As I was finishing up the kids' bath, thinking about our wonderful day, I look at myself in the mirror and discover that my fly is wide open...ever since that successful trip to the public bathroom :)

2 comments:

Laura said...

You are so hilarious, since those buttons are so covered in germies. I am glad you are posting again!

Chad and Kara said...

hahaha!! Classic! :) Glad you had such a fun day out!