Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The best day!!

We had the BEST day today! I can't remember the last time the babies and I had SUCH a good day - no time outs, no misbehavior, they listened to EVERYTHING I said...(most of you know that's rare!)

We started out normally, with our Sesame Street breakfast. On spur of the moment, I decided to head to the closest public library, which was about 15 minutes away. Mommy's bangs straightened, kids' shoes on, we headed out the door. They didn't get the whole idea that we needed to whisper inside the library, but no one seemed to mind. And they played with the library toys the whole time, instead of reading books, but we'll get there :) I met a nice lady while I was there, who has started her own service of collecting and donating diapers to homeless womens' shelters. Come to find out, WIC and food stamps don't cover diapers, and many homeless children are sitting in their dirty diapers for far too long. She sparked an interest in my Ursuline girl self, and she gave me her card. Hopefully this will turn into something interesting and rewarding for me!

After the library (I had to pry them away from a large stuffed Clifford atop one of the children's bookshelves, but they came - no protests! We ate lunch at the Black Eyed Pea, all by ourselves, and for the first time in AGES, they were ANGELS at the dinner table (a lot of you know that's rare too)! We drove home, and I put them down for their nap.

The nap went ok, given that they both woke up a little cranky, but that soon dissipated. We played with their new Mr. Potato Head set and the legos until dinner time, and we had a very pleasant dinner while we watched bobsledding on the sports channel (I'm getting them ready for the Olympics...they MUST be conditioned to watch with me!). A fun bathtime was followed by giggling hysteria while they played where'd "Claire go?" and Will has learned a tackle move that doesn't always go over well with his sister :) AMAZINGLY though, I told him to stop when she says no. AND HE DID!! (Are you seeing a pattern of shock here?)

Storytime was also fun for me, since there was no protesting about sitting in my lap (like there usually is when John is traveling), and Claire noticed that I didn't read one of the books that Daddy usually does. I left out Goodnight Moon in favor of getting them to bed on time, but Claire wouldn't have it. She told me I need to "read other one book", and when I showed it to her, she giggled, did a little hop, and ran for the couch. They both wrapped it up with a huge giggle session over covering up parts of the book with their hands (not sure I understand it, but I giggled too!).

Anyway, not a very eventful day, but one of my favorite alone days with the kids that I've had in a long time. I see two little people maturing and growing before my eyes, and although it makes me sad to see them getting there so fast, I'm enjoying watching the results of our loving parenting. And that makes me giggle too :)

2 comments:

Renee said...

Yay! It sounds like the perfect day to me!

DandW said...

It was a huge eventful day! It was so fun to read about it. I could see your smiles.