We had the busiest day today, so I thought I'd share -
We first were excited about attending the Barnes & Noble storytime with the rest of our baby friends, but changed plans when my cousin, Heather, called to ask if we would like to hang out with our other cousins from Alabama. So, an hour later, we were off to Heather's on the west side of Houston. I had forgotten that I was "on call" for a lunch with Leah after her interview in Cinco Ranch, but it worked out great for me to invite her along for lunch with the cousins. We had a blast chatting and playing with the babies, and went for a swim afterwards in Heather's pool. BOY these babies like the pool!
We were way past naptime, and the kids have never napped outside of a crib (Heather and Lynda offered to let them nap there), so that went poorly. The kids were bawling, so we just got into the car. My plan was to drive the long way home, so they could get in a good nap before I had to tote them to the HEB for groceries (we had NO fresh produce!). I also decided to stop by the house to pick up a magazine to read while they finished napping, but Wakey McWakerson woke up as soon as I opened the car door. He was quiet and happy though, so he rested a while longer while I drove to the store and organized the coupons I was going to use (I'm crazy coupon lady now!).
Finally Claire stirred, and started my usual ritual of wiping down the cart with a Clorox wipe and installing the kids. The three of us hadn't been to the store together in a couple of weeks, so it was new again, and exciting - even more so, b/c the cashiers were having a contest and cheering loudly! We were going through the deodorant aisle when I met a nice HEB lady named Lynn, who told me that the kids were cute, and looked like Pixies. I hadn't heard that one before, but I guess they do! They were also extra curly from air-drying after playing in the pool, maybe that helped the image :) It took me over TWO hours to get through the store, and even though the kids were behaving wonderfully, I knew they were getting hungry. Claire remembers that I always get them a sample of bread from the bakery, and starting saying "bread! bread!". So, we had a sample there, and a sample at the deli counter, and another sample at the deli counter (they had just put out some smoked turkey and cheddar rolls that the kids INHALED), and then another sample form the bakery as we passed by again, upon completion of the produce section part of my list. Speaking of produce (and the fact that they were in suprisingly good moods), I was heading towards the packaged spinach section, and I looked down to see them HUGGING!! They did it 6 or 7 times, and Will was even "eh"-ing Claire to get her to hug him again!! Spontaneously, I tell you! THAT was the cutest. Miraculously, I thought to grab my camera phone and snap a couple of shots, so I'll upload those in a sec...I think I almost cried happy tears, right there with the spinach :)
We got back to the car, unloaded everything (and everybody), and I realized it was almost 7pm!! We hurried home (all three of us singing, I might add), and got ready to take a bath. Fortunately (or unfortunately!) I left the diaper bag on the floor, and they entertained themselves a little too quietly with the contents of that bag while I was putting away the groceries :) "Uppa" the stairs, stripped down (no poops! yea!) and into the bath. In my haste, I got some soap in Will's eye, and he instinctively filled his plastic cup and poured it over his face. Good boy! Then they started to rinse each other. Then me. Then they started to wash me with their washcloths. And rinse some more. I'm mostly clean now, I don't need a shower today!
To top off the lovely evening, they picked out their storytime books, and sat quietly in my lap (for a change!) and listened interactively to the stories. I got a LONG hug from Claire, and a short one from Will (I'll take it! He's not very huggy in the evenings), and put them to bed. Nighty night, babies! Mommy's pooped, but is ready to do it all over again tomorrow! :)
~K
Caterpillars! :)
14 years ago



1 comment:
MAN that is a lot of stuff you did! HEB is a major event in this house - and don't they know they get thier bread samples and Buddy Bucks! We NNNNEEEEEEEEEDDDDD to see you soon!!!!! Not sure if we can keep up though :)
Post a Comment